24 Jun 2011
There are plenty of things that we love about being in Liverpool, and it’s nice when you read stories about other people who think the same.
1. It's very multicultural: A document on the Liverpool Council website states that 44.5 per cent of Liverpool's population was born in a country other than Australia. The main ethnic groups are Bosnians, Croatians, Serbians, Vietnamese, Iraqi, Lebanese and Pacific Islanders.
2. It has an abundance of sporting facilities: There are plenty of bike tracks and in Chipping Norton there's a free outdoor gym with an exceptional view of Grand Flaneur Beach. One also cannot forget Warwick Farm Racecourse.
3. Its history is interesting: Liverpool was founded more than 200 years ago, making it the fourth oldest town in Sydney. It has Australia's oldest Anglican church — St Luke's — and during World War I there were extensive military training activities in the area and German prisoners of war were held at Holsworthy.
4. There's lots of choice in food: When it comes to eating out, or even buying groceries, Liverpool has variety. You can find everything from Thai to Indian to Italian to Lebanese restaurants and top-quality cakes and coffee.
5. We have a hospital: Few Sydney suburbs can boast having a modern, state-of-the-art public hospital currently undergoing a $390 million redevelopment.
6. We have lower rental prices: Compared to the eastern side of Sydney, we have lower rental prices and the prices of houses are also generally more affordable.
7. Its location is ideal: It's about a 45-minute drive to the beach and Sydney city. And in the opposite direction, about an hour to the Blue Mountains.
8. We have entertainment: There is a wide variety of bands and exhibitions that come to Liverpool, the Casula Powerhouse and nearby clubs.
9. The people of Liverpool are generally down-to-earth: There's a pleasant mix of rural and suburban residents. And when residents are against something such as the Moorebank Intermodal Terminal and the cemeteries they use people power to voice their concerns.
10. Liverpool is evolving: It is fast becoming a focal point in the south- west, housing Sydney's growing population, leaving interesting times ahead.
If you would like to read the rest of the article from the Liverpool City Champion, click here
Is there anything else that you’d like to add about why you like Liverpool?