19 Dec 2012
So you’re planning a few days away over Christmas, or perhaps a longer summer escape? While you’re undoubtedly busy packing, organising time off work, and dealing with the Christmas rush, don’t forget to prepare your Liverpool home for the holiday.
Our team at Professionals Paradise Realty Casula Real Estate has put together this handy little home security checklist to try to reduce the risk of holiday burglaries and help you to have a relaxing holiday.
- Neighbours can be as effective as a police patrol car. Let your neighbours know if you’re going to be away, and ask them to keep a look-out.
- Make sure all your doors and windows are locked, including securing any pet/doggy doors.
- If you’re planning a short time away you may like to ask a friend or neighbour to collect your mail, to prevent a build-up or mailbox overflow. If you’re going to be gone for longer it may be easier to complete a mail redirection form or have it held at the post office.
- If you have food/milk/newspapers or anything else typically delivered to your home, remember to have these services cancelled or put on held for the time you’ll be away.
- Leave a light on inside if you are planning to return after dark. You may like to consider using an automatic timing device for lights and appliances. It is always best to have at least one internal light on at night while you’re away, and try to avoid the temptation of closing all blinds and curtains. Leaving some partially open with lights on will help the home retain its ‘lived in’ look.
- Turn down the ringing volume of your home phone. A loudly ringing phone that never gets answered will quickly give the game away.
- Leave house keys with a friend or trusted neighbour. Never leave them inside or outside the house, even if you’re sure you have a terrific hiding place.
- Ask a friend or neighbour to park their car in your driveway from time to time. The appearance of movement with cars going in and out will help provide the illusion of somebody being around.
- If you’re planning to be away from home for a while, you may like to arrange for somebody to come and trim your lawns.
- Securely lock your garage, as ladders and tool can be found here that an aspiring burglar may use to break in.
- Move all cash and valuables to a safe place.
- Finally, make sure you are adequately insured. You certainly don’t want to get back from holidays to find that you need to pay big bucks to replace all your valuables. Insurance will at least give you peace of mind that if worst comes to worst, you’re covered.
By following these simple tips you will help to make your home less attractive to aspiring thieves, and help keep your home safe this summer. Once you’ve prepared your Liverpool home, sit back and enjoy a relaxing and well deserved time away.