15 Mar 2013
Moving house can be a particularly expensive time, and when you consider the amount of packing supplies, boxes and removalist trucks required for big moves, it’s easy to see how it can result in a shameful carbon footprint! Our Professionals Paradise Realty office is keen on helping Liverpool families save money and stay green, so we thought we’d help those preparing to move house by sharing these few handy tips:
- Prepare early. You’ll cut down on packing and boxes by getting rid of your unused and unwanted items prior to moving day. Gumtree and eBay are always popular online sites for selling things that may be needlessly cluttering your home. You may also wish to donate items to charity or hand-over furniture or clothing to your friends. If you’re struggling to find a new home for any of your unwanted pieces, Freecycle can help match your items with a home in need. The more you discard, the more money you’ll save on removalist fees, and the less petrol you’ll burn in your move, so don’t be afraid to be a little reckless.
- Rather than spending big bucks on loads of cardboard boxes that may never be used again, or will probably only be able to be used a handful of times, why not rent plastic boxes. These can be used hundreds of times before being recycled, and generally cost less to hire than the cardboard version.
- Rather than forking out huge dollars on packing materials, which will often end up as landfill, you can save money and create far less waste by using your own clothing, blankets and towels to wrap around delicate and valuable items. As a bonus, this will also minimise packing time. If you’re in need of some bubble wrap and other materials, try to recycle them by handing them over to others who may be moving soon, or list them up on the Freecycle website – with so many people moving around the state every weekend, your materials are bound to generate loads of interest.
- When it comes to professional removalists, time is money, and this can add up very quickly! Make sure you have everything clearly labelled in boxes. This is vital if you’re on a budget, as every trip to the truck with a loose item is costing you money.
- Once you’ve filled the truck and cleared out your house, you’ll no doubt have some serious cleaning to do. Prepare for this by purchasing non-toxic, biodegradable cleaning products. Old clothes can also make great cleaning rags, and help reduce waste from the likes of paper towels.
Remember to use websites such as eBay, Gumtree and Freecycle whenever possible to help recycle unwanted items and reduce waste, whether you’re looking for new furniture or materials, or listing your own.
For more moving tips, or help selling or finding your new Liverpool home, please give us a call or visit us at our Professionals Paradise Realty office.